Thursday, November 1, 2007

Wednesday, October 26, 2007



Oct 26
Well let’s see...It's been a crazy week. Lots of finding, contacting, tracting, and its been fun with the new comp. I was sure that we would not get along too well, but it’s not a bad start. And he can cook, so I am no longer the only one cooking! In fact he does it more then me now. It's great - I make borscht and it lasts 3-4 days and he cooks almost every other thing. :) It's nice. We got to leave our obalist (county) from Ivano Frankivsk to Ternopal and to a crazy celo (village). I hope I can get these pics off so you can see a lil bit of it. It was a fun trip, that's for sure. We left at 6am and got back in town at 9pm and got to the apartment at 9:25. It was a full day. We did get permission; so no we did not blatantly disobey the rules. It was raining almost the whole day but the reason we went out was my companion has ancestors that are Ukrainian and Polish, but lived in Ukraine and that was a celo where they lived. There are 5 celos with the same name by the way...We had to find maps from the early 1900s and use rivers on the old maps and the new maps to figure out where it was and then how to get there and back. That was fun. We went to the Mayor's office and talked to him and they gave us info. We had a lesson with him and 6 office staff there and 17 contacts in that celo. We do not have authorization to be there or preach, but each person talked to us and you could go into a lesson if they ask about us. It was great. We went to the cemetery there and we were looking for names. We looked for hours and no luck. Then it started to rain and it was muddy from the last few days of rain and so we left. On our way out we happened to find one grave with the right name! His family tree does not have the dates but this gravesite has the right dates and name! Crazy! Then we went back to the mayor and he gave us more info about where we could find more info about his family. With the border changes and wars and fires most records are gone. The ones that are still around are in another city, so next week we might have to postpone email again.
Other then that I loved Aunt Lana and Uncle George's package! I had forgot what chunky peanut butter was like! It's wonderful! I used half of it in a week. :) The root beer I used the first day in the office with 2 companions of mine and one good friend that was going home. It was great! Missionaries love root beer! You cant get it here you know. Don't send it to me though...I don't need it here and it costs a lot to send. So I will talk to you later next week, maybe a day late. We need permission to go to the other city. We are not registered there. I love you all! Until next week!я вас люблю допобаченя = I you love see you later, or actually I love you (plural) and see you later Now I am sending pics of a school were we teach English to kids, the baptism I had, the celo I went to when I got to ride on a trailer a horse was pulling, when we went into a fortress from the 1500s, a bus stop in a closer celo to me, a pic of me in a park, on my old comps last day in Ivano wasting time in an area that is under construction, a salad I made - my comps hand is forming what's called a fig and is kind of like the finger but it means nothing...even members will do it in the church (it's more funny then anything), and a pic of borscht that I made.

No comments: