Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wednesday, April 30, 2008






Hello people that I love and that have an interest in my life here in Ukraine!

We had one great Zone Conference this last week. We had Elder Gibbons from the Seventy, a General Authority, speak to us about Church Members and how we can improve our work with them and strengthen them. It was lots of fun. We had the Zone Leaders in town. Elders Jacobs and Gassaway came down and did companion exchanges and gave baptismal interviews. Lubabir is getting baptised this Saturday! He asked that Elder Eskelen baptize him. We have 2 baptisms coming up this weekend. Saturday will be lots of fun, and this week he had a change - short notice! We lost a sister to a transfer. Sister Mills will be gone and we are getting a new sister maybe Thursday when they return by train. When we saw their train off there was a dog fight right after. It's so crazy... there are packs of dogs in every city, and lots of them. This is the only one I have seen on the train tracks though.

Oh man, while 4 of us Elders were walking together Elder Horn was hit very lightly by a car. I mean, what the heck was with that? The guy saw all 4 of us! He almost hit me too. Nobody was hurt, but the guy had the nerve to honk his horn. People think they own the road here, I swear.

This weekend we had sports day as usual, and right before we got there a large German Shepherd bit a kid in the bottom! Right as we got there we saw people chase the thing away, but I think everything was OK. He did not get bit hard. But it turned out to be a really fun day and week.

The pictures this week - first would be Elder Jacobs (Zone Leader) holding Elder Kaufman, our District Leader. They are from the same group and are very close. Next, me with a few cuts after sports day; I tripped and fell on asphalt during a passing play in American football when someone tried to jook, me but failed and then just tripped me. Next we have the L'viv train station. Zone Conference is in L'viv. Next, we have a familiar image of an RM (Returned Missionary) sister that happened to be in L'viv. Her name is Natasha Burynchenko, the shortest sister I have seen in this mission. She is also Heather's best friend from when she served in Ukraine. And last, a pic with me and Elder Larson from Apple Valley. That was the last time I will see him in Ukraine. He was one of the few missionaries from California. The band aids were from something that happened to him while on a marshrootka (transportation van). Some drunks thought it wise to pull out a knife, but they were kicked from the micro bus and Elder Larson was stitched up and all is well.

That is all the fun stuff this week, so goodbye!

Love, Elder Hokanson

*NOTE* The file with the pictures was corrupted, so we'll have to see them next week! :( *UPDATE* I finally downloaded a program that let me open the file! Yeah! :)

*NOTE 2* It took even me awhile to get this, but Goki stands for Hokanson. In Ukrainian they don't have an 'H' sound, so they use 'G' and make it kinda breathy. :) So he has a 'G' in the beginning of his name there. I know the Elders call him "Hokie', so in "Ukrainian" that would be Goki. :) ~Heather

No comments: